Project Wet Instructor:
Job Location: Throughout Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights
The Youth Science Center’s, a non-profit organization, mission is to inform, instruct, and inspire youth of all ages, primarily from disadvantaged communities, to discover the excitement of science and technology by promoting inquiry driven learning through hands-on science activities. The YSC communicates what science is, how scientists and engineers work, and how to apply scientific strategies.
The YSC is seeking a Project Wet Instructor to teach the Project Wet curriculum to 5th grade students. The work will be conducted at several different elementary schools throughout Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights. The pay rate ranges from $15.00/hour to $33.50/hour and includes mileage. Paid training is available immediately.
Responsible for teaching a 3 hour long course that is taught over a 3 week period for 1 hour a day to 5th grade students throughout Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights from various school districts. Responsible for maintaining and setting up equipment. Must have reliable transportation.
Weekly schedule is flexible but varies from school to school, however, the Project Wet curriculum is conducted during school hours beginning early September through early June. This position is part time.
In summary, the Project Wet curriculum teaches 5th grade students about water quality, water resources, and water conservation practices through hands-on activities.
- Teaches Project Wet curriculum to 5th grade students
- Able to keep, maintain, and transport required equipment to and from schools
- Facilitates students’ acquisition of conceptual understanding Project Wet topics
- Conducts hands-on, inquiry-driven, Project Wet activities as specified in the Student Workbook
Other Duties and Requirements
- Mentors students
- Able to work with Excel, Word
- Able to use internet and email
- Other duties as assigned/specified by management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (minimum qualifications)
- Computer literate (email, Word, Excel)
- Good written and communication skills
- College degree or working on a college degree in science and/or science education
- Credentialed teacher or working on a credential with qualifying teaching experience
- Work related experience
- Demonstrated leadership
- Must be a team player and able to work well with minimum supervision
If interested, please send resume to Diana Padilla, Project Manager, at [email protected].