After School STEM Facilitator
Job Location: Throughout the San Gabriel Valley, for example Pomona, Claremont, San Dimas, Hacienda Heights, Whittier, and etc.
The Youth Science Center’s, a non-profit organization, mission is to inform, instruct, and inspire youth of all ages, primarily from disadvantaged communities, to discover the excitement of science and technology by promoting inquiry driven learning through hands-on science activities. The YSC communicates what science is, how scientists and engineers work, and how to apply scientific strategies.
Leads K-12 students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) activities via inquiry science methods for the Youth Science Center’s After School STEM classes. Leads after school STEM classes with at least 15 students from the same or close to the same grade level at various school sites throughout the San Gabriel Valley, for example Pomona, Claremont, San Dimas, Hacienda Heights, Whittier, and etc. Instruction time is 90 minutes, prep-time is 30 minutes, and clean-up time is 30 minutes once a week for six weeks. Must have reliable transportation.
- Facilitates students’ acquisition of conceptual understanding of STEM topics
- Conducts hands-on, inquiry-driven, science activities
- Mentors students
Other Duties and Requirements
- Picks up materials from the YSC headquarters in Hacienda Heights
- Great customer service skills
- Communicates with school staff and parents about child’s progress and/or behavior
- Must be a team player and able to work well with minimum supervision
- Other duties as assigned/specified by management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (minimum qualifications)
- Computer literate (email, Word, Excel)
- Good written and communication skills
- STEM degree preferred or working towards a STEM degree, but not required
- Teacher Credential or working on a teacher credential preferred, but not required
Interested applicants, please contact Diana Padilla at [email protected]